Dear LAPMS Parents/Guardians,
We know all of us are making adjustments in our daily routine due to concerns about COVID – 19. Here are some of the ideas for remote learning, fun activities, and keeping children happy, and healthy during this school closure.
Weekly Learning Packet (Download):
There will be a weekly worksheet packet for the children as per the theme of the month.
- Download this week’s packet by clicking on the menu on the RIGHT side of this page.
- Or, access it on Google Drive, here.
This packet is optional. It is available on our website: (https://www.learnandplaymontessori.com/remotelearning) or via google drive: (https://bit.ly/3din4Fg)
Spring Poster Activity
We are recommending to all the children to create a Spring Poster to welcome the season. Bring the poster to school once we are open to share and feel good. Feel free to choose the topic of children’s choice if Spring is not what your child is interested in. If possible use recycling material to create it. Some of the examples are bottle caps, lids of the containers, some packaging material, gift wrapping material, etc.
30 Minutes of Learning Per Day / Goal
We are recommending 30 mins of learning activity per day. Please help your child to have a daily logging sheet of their activities and routine. We will discuss this with the children upon returning to school.
Sharing COVID-19 Ideas with Your Children
- Take time to speak with your child about the COVID-19 outbreak. Answer questions and share facts. Here are some links: https://childmind.org/article/talking-to-kids-about-the-coronavirus/ or https://news.sanfordhealth.org/news/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/explaining-covid-19-to-kids/ about COVID-19 in a way that your child can understand. Keep it simple.
- Stay calm and reassure your child that they are safe. Let them know it is ok if they feel upset.
- Limit your family’s exposure to news coverage of the event, including social media. Children may misinterpret what they hear and can be frightened about something they do not understand.
- Try to keep up with regular routines. Create a schedule for learning activities and relaxing or fun activities. Make sure TV time, screen time, chores, playtime and any other fun activities are a part of their schedule. Let the children be a part of this planning to agree and commit.
- Be a role model. Take breaks, get plenty of sleep, exercise, and eat well. Connect with your friends and family members while maintaining social distancing.
Suggestions to Consider While Making a Schedule for the Children:
- Art and Craft
- Offer old magazine papers for cutting. Make sure children are using child-friendly scissors under your supervision.
- Offer empty tissue paper boxes, cereals boxes, and similar small boxes for art and craft.
- Give recycle papers for cutting, drawing, pasting, and to use their creativity
- Have a designated area to use art and craft activity with glue, crayons, markers.
- Playing with Creative Material
- Building blocks
- Magnetic blocks
- Wooden blocks
- Lacing beads
- Reading Books, Story Time
- Reading aloud to your child engages them in the story and creates a love for reading.
- Advanced PreK and Kindergarten children can work on book reports.
- Younger children can draw the favorite characters of the story.
- Board Games with family members
- Take turns to play with the child on a variety of game boards
- Have a schedule and plan the games so children feel novelty every day
- Have some music and dance time
- Children love to perform on the music
- Motivate them to do so to feel energetic and happy
- Plan 30 minutes of physical activity every day for children
- To stay in good health, children need physical activity
- Children yoga, Simple body movements
- Plan the activities that encourage them to move their body and have fun
- Scheduled TV and Screen time
- Have a video chat with friends
- Talking to their friends is equally important as they can express themselves, stay connected, and feel good to see each other.
- Scheduled Video game time
- Helping in daily chores (Children are good helpers and love to do so)
- Folding clothes
- Setting up the lunch table
- Tidy up their room
- Clean up toys
- School Printables
- Do not use them all.
- Pick the one that matches your child’s level
- Have a plan to use them per day
Some Useful Resources:
- www.ABCmouse.com/redeem (For Children in Preschool Through 2nd Grade) For free access enter school code: SCHOOL1446
- www.AdventureAcademy.com/redeem (For Children in 3rd Through 8th Grade) For free access enter school code: SCHOOL1446
- www.ReadingIQ.com/redeem (For Children in Preschool Through 6th Grade) For free access enter school code: SCHOOL1446
Stay tuned for more updates.
LAPMS Curriculum Director
- 1 – 10 Boxes
- Addition Booklets Set 1 to 9
- Apple Outline for Art Activity
- Before and After Numbers
- Daisies Coloring Project
- Fruit Coloring Worksheet
- Giraffe Coloring for Art and Craft
- Home Activities for Children Video Links
- Lion Coloring for Art and Craft
- Odd and Even
- Spring Art Project
- Subtraction Booklets Set 1 to 9
- Tiger Coloring for Art and Craft
- Yosemite Coloring Page
- Egg Outline for Art Project